jueves, 11 de noviembre de 2010

The walled town of Galisteo

Bright and crisp start saw me over the Puerto de los Castaňos by about 10, and then over lovely country, if less spectacular than yesterday's.  Stopped for a bite soon after 1pm. I've decided my solution to the problem of days when there is nowhere to eat between breakfast and dinner is not to pack a picnic - don't want breadcrumbs or squashed cheese in my rucksack - but I bought a pound of sultanas and eat a couple of ounces of those with water.  It's not exactly a balanced diet, but it keeps me going for the next 3 hours or whatever.  Today's "lunch" was made memorable by seeing an eagle circling overhead, looking up properly and finding that there were five of them above me.  Quite wonderful.


Got into amazing Galisteo at about 3.30pm. It is amazing - a fully enclosed walled town with ramparts, battlements and gateways.  Walked around the ramparts and could just work out which was the puerto I'd crossed early this morning - the views in every direction were spectacular: the people in this town certainly weren't going to be taken by surprise by any approaching army.  It was so like a film-set I kept half-expecting to turn round a rampart and see Kevin Costner or Russell Crowe hamming it up for the cameras.


Puerta de Santa Maria gateway to Galisteo

1 comentario:

  1. Lovely photographs Alan. I've had a yen to walk this Camino since I first heard about it but even now the temperatures are a little too hot for me...though enjoying following it vicariously thanks to you!
    Bonne route
    Nell

    ResponderEliminar