viernes, 12 de noviembre de 2010

Caparra

Left Galisteo in quite a thick mist, so was slightly disappointed not to have the sight of the ramparts and battlements receding behind me.  After a rather chilly hour, the sun burned through while I was at Aldeahuela re-filling up my bottle from a well – the water at the public fountain at Galisteo had been chlorinated.
Made good progress to Carcaboso.  Shortly afterwards I was surprised to see a walled field planted with fairly mature holm oaks in a perfect quincunx – normally they seem to be growing largely at random.  I wondered if, 120-or so years ago, the local landowner had read the “Garden of Cyrus” and decided to try it?
A few miles further on and the quadrifons triumphal arch of Caparra made its appearance, sole structure surviving from a major Roman town.  There must be some reason why nothing besides remains, around the decay of that colossal wreck. 

Caparra arch
I had badly misjudged the time it would take to get to Aldanueva del Camino, and spent too long enjoying Caparra anyway, so it was depressing to have to walk the last hour or so in the dark, other than a faint light from the waxing moon.  49 km in a day (according to the guide-book, which I suspect of rounding up a little) is too much, but there is nothing between Carcaboso, which I reached by 11ish, and Aldanueva.
Cheered up on arrival at Aldanueva to find I had sole possession of the four-bedded albergue, and had a very satisfying supper in a raucous bar/restaurant teeming with boisterous children and their almost equally noisy parents all enjoying the start of the weekend.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario