jueves, 18 de noviembre de 2010

Rest day in Zamora

Day off in Zamora.  Although the civic and vernacular architecture may not be up to much, it’s more than made up for by the amazing number of Romanesque churches - something approaching 20, I think.  Spent the morning ambling around “collecting” as many as possible.

Zamora cathedral
A few had had inappropriate baroque interiors imposed on them, but most had retained their original simplicity.  And I enjoyed the bloodthirsty statue of Santiago Matamoros over the altar in Santiago del Burgo (and the more peacable Santiago Pelegrino under the lovely Byzantine dome of the cathedral).
     
Santa Lucia & Saint Ciprian                                    porch of Santiago del Burgo

Despite being a rest day, according to my pedometer, my amblings still took me over 16km.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario